Monday, January 12, 2009

Thrift shopping


Is it just me, or are thrift shops' selections becoming smaller and their prices going up?

Thrift shops are a great place for wool sweaters, which I like to use for repurposing and felting projects. And I have to say that Savers' used wool sweaters for $8... what is the dealio? They are used sweaters! I could see $5, tops. You can find nice wool sweaters at most thrift stores them for $2-$3. So no way I'm buying them at Savers.

Thrift shops are awesome for books. As a teacher, I find/found so many books at a great discount, and I recommend this! Also jewelry, but it's pretty hard to find vintage jewelry at a thrift store. Most of the jewelry is depressing 90s stuff. You can sometimes get lucky with games, though. I love vintage games!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I just found you as I was checking out the 'next blog' button! I've never used that before ;)

A thrift store I'm over is Plato's Closet. They never take my items!

Danger Kitty Designs said...

That's because Savers is a for-profit company. Their prices are always going to be higher.

Plato's Closet is a consignment shop, so it's a little different from a thrift store. You may be better off trying to get a tax break by donating your clothes to a thrift store (not Savers).