Friday, January 9, 2009

City Friends...


------------------------
This is a card I made for someone special to me, who loves trains. 
I made it using a page from the children's reader City Friends, published in 1938. I used the original book page as I (usually) don't like reproductions!

Quirky train fact: Taking the Amtrack from Austin, Texas to Minneapolis, Minnesota would take 36 hours--it goes through Chicago!! (I know, I looked this up and thought, 36 hours? no, thanks; I'll drive!)

I would like to take a train trip. We just don't have train service like they do in Europe! When I studied in Spain we took the train everywhere--Zamora, Barcelona, even to Portugal!

Fun train-themed movies: Murder on the Orient Express*; Brief Encounter; Silver Streak.

*Please note: must be 1974 version with Albert Finney, Lauren Bacall, Ingrid Bergman, Sean Connery...

4 comments:

Danger Kitty Designs said...

If you don't plan on taking the train to texas, I at least recommend taking it to Chicago. It's far better than driving, and it's just a lot of fun. Plus the depot in Chicago is pretty rad. Just bring a blanket. The trains are ridiculously cold.

creativesundries said...

Sounds like fun! Time for a road trip? Train trip?

Marie said...

Murder on the Orient Express with Lauren Bacall! That sounds interesting. I love those old movies.

Love your card, very cute!

~~Marie~~

Robin said...

When I was 14YO we took Amtrak from Milwaukee to Tampa - it was a 2 day trip and was not fun. The first 24 hours (in the cold) we had no heat and froze...the second half of the trip they couldn't turn the heaters off and we were roasting (and in the south by then!). Memories...still was a great vacation with my parents (since passed). ;-)

Robin in MN