Friday, May 30, 2008

What to do w/shredded money?


Do you have bags of shredded money just sitting around? 

Me, neither. But if you do come across a torn or otherwise damaged bill, here is some incredibly random information from the U.S. Treasury

"The Department of the Treasury, Bureau of Engraving and Printing, redeems partially destroyed or badly damaged currency as a free public service. The Office of Currency Standards... uses experts to examine mutilated currency and will approve the insurance of a Treasury check for the value of the currency determined to be redeemable."

How is that for a job title? Mutilated Currency Expert.

1 comment:

jessica said...

This is very valuable information to me right now! My dog attacked my boyfriend's wallet and ravaged not one, but THREE $20 bills. I brought them to the bank and they redeemed two of them, but would not take the third. I wonder if I could get it redeemed this way...