Monday, December 17, 2007







Today's featured artist is Mary Hamilton of http://DreamON.etsy.com. Her shop features beautiful watercolors and acrylics, both originals and prints. Below is one of my favorites, appropriately titled Egret with Attitude!



In her Etsy profile, Mary explains, "I always loved to cut, paste, paint and draw from my earliest memories. Creating art is what I do, it's built-in by my creator, He enables me, and I love it."



Mary's college degree is in art. Of her technique, she says, "I value the presence of a recognizable subject in my paintings. I love it when the center of interest appears in the midst of background objects that aren’t so well-defined. I want watercolor to look like watercolor, and I want my paintings to have a painterly look, not a photographic copy. Therefore I am an impressionist, because I don’t want to over-control the media.I love to paint using a variety of techniques. Having taken an experimental art class for the last 4-5 years, I am likely to paint anything, and I'm always 'playing.'"



Mary took time to chat with us about her work and her Etsy shop.

CreativeSundries: I see in some of your works on Etsy that you used both acrylic and watercolor. How did you decide to do that? Can you tell us a little bit about that?

DreamON: There were different reasons for each one. The martini painting has a gold metallic background, and there is no watercolor product, I'm aware of, which are like that. The "Underwater Acoustics" painting started out as a complete abstract watercolor, which went through two additional steps: the first was defining what I "saw" in the abstract. The second phase was playing with the transparencies of the watercolors and marking off geometric shapes. In the third phase I put on black acrylic gesso which is about as opaque as you can get. The "Lets Take a Spin" painting was created by taking an old painting which already was a combo of watercolor and acrylic and merging it into a white piece of paper which was treated by stamping and dragging acrylic colors onto it (there is more about the techniques used in this painting in the early days of my blog).


Creative Sundries: What is most rewarding, and most challenging, in your work?

DreamOn: Most rewarding is when I am able to satisfy myself that I have a good painting and find that someone else loves it enough to add to their personal collection. Most challenging is trying to accomplish a good painting, and nothing seems to work right. Also a close second to this is "me" trying to sell someone else a painting. I am not a born salesperson, and this is really difficult for me.

Above: Keep Off, watercolor and acrylic

CreativeSundries: How did you become involved with Etsy?

DreamOn: I had heard of Etsy through another artist's blog when I was just doing some surfing. I had done some exploring of Etsy sites to see whose art was selling and whose was not. Then I sprained both of my ankles by not being aware of a step and finding out after the fact. While I was sitting around a lot, I decided to bite the bullet and go ahead and open a shop on Etsy.I have learned so much in the last 2 1/2 months about how to set up the shop, then started blogging, then joined the 90 day challenge and found out even more about blogging. It's been a very positive experience for me. Everyone has been so helpful when I have needed it. I love the Forums, but I have been too chicken to try the chat rooms, as I hear it moves very fast in there. I only set up my shop on October 8th, so I guess technically I'm still pretty much of a newbie.

Thanks for talking with us, Mary!

I asked Mary about giclee prints, the type of prints she uses for her artwork on Etsy. She responded, "I could try to explain giclee, but this from Wikipedia does a much more excellent job."Giclée (pronounced [ʒiːˈkleɪ] "zhee-clay" or /dʒiːˈkleɪ, from French IPA: [ʒiˈkle]), is an invented name for the process of making fine art prints from a digital source using ink-jet printing." That's good to know--I'm going to look into that for some of our artwork!

Shop: http://dreamon.etsy.com/

Web site: http://www.mary-hamilton.com

Blog: http://DreamsAboutArt.blogspot.com

3 comments:

Mary (DreamsAboutArt) said...

Thank you for all of your efforts in putting together the wonderful feature and all the pictures used. What a nice article!
Mary

RainbowMom said...

What a lovely blog. This seller is very talented... thanks for posting. :) Tammy

creativesundries said...

Thanks for your kind comments! DreamOn is very talented and it was an enjoyable feature to write!

Sarah :-)