Sunday, November 18, 2007

Featured Artist: Phyllis Mufson of Personal Treasures



Phyllis Mufson's Etsy shops, Personal Treasures and Mufi.etsy.com, feature beautiful and unique handmade jewelry.
Her designs have a unique intricacy to them, and somehow look delicate but sturdy at the same time. It comes as no surprise that her designs are so lovely: as she explains in her Etsy profile, "Earlier in my life I was a textile artist and that sensibility influences my designs. I'm concerned with how the jewelry drapes and moves with the body. I'm also inspired by my customers. In addition to my ETSY stores I sell through private jewelry shows so I get to see how women respond to the jewelry. I talk with them about what interests them, and find out which designs are particularly flattering to wear."

We enjoyed talking with Phyllis and learning more about her work.

Creative Sundries: Your jewelry is beautiful. Do you have favorite gems and stones?

Phyllis: I have so many favorites. My current stash includes: Labradorite, Tourmaline, Peridot, Topaz, Garnet, Carnelian, Aquamarine, Phrenite, Smokey Quartz, Jade, Iolite Peruvian Opal, Emerald, Chrysoprase, Hessonite, Onyx, Rock Crystal, Amethyst, Apatite, Fluorite, Rutilated Quartz, Moonstone, Citrine, Chalcedony, Coral, Rose Quartz, Turquoise, Amazonite and Lapis Lazuli. Uh, oh, you got me started. Also, many varieties of pearls.


Creative Sundries: You do home parties with your jewelry. How do you do that, and what is involved?

Phyllis: It’s pretty straightforward and lots of fun. Planning: I’ll talk with the hostess, about things like: who will send invitations, will it be open to the public or not, how to publicize, what kind of refreshments, where should I set up, who will do what, extra lights, etc. I usually offer the hostess a percentage of sales toward jewelry or a charity donation. Sometimes I’ll invite another artisan to join in, or someone will invite me to join their sale.Packing: Before the event I’ll tag new jewelry, make an inventory list of what I’m bringing and pack. I usually pack the jewelry on the form it will be displayed on so that set up goes quickly. Then it’s party time. There’s usually lots of trying on and meeting new interesting people. I love seeing someone put on a piece that is really right for her and seeing the ‘click.’ Also helping with gift choices.

Creative Sundries: How did you find Etsy?

Phyllis: I was a buyer first. I found an ETSY store through a Google search, bought what I was looking for and became intrigued by the site.

Creative Sundries: What do you like best about being on Etsy?

Phyllis: I like that the site is so well designed and easy to operate, so a novice to online commerce like me can move in and begin selling right away. Also, if you don’t understand something or have a problem the other sellers are very supportive and generous with information. There’s great positive energy in the community of ETSY sellers and buyers.

Thanks for chatting with us, Phyllis!


Be sure to check out Phyllis' blog, http://personaltreasures.blogspot.com/, where she writes about creativity and creative people--she just might tell you about her famous 23-story bead condo. Visit Personal Treasures and Mufi.etsy.com to see her fabulous designs.

5 comments:

chris said...

Hi,

We have recently launched a {designer handbag | designer watches | designer
jewellery } (choose one which is most appropriate) blog and we are looking
to spread the word and get in contact with similar websites to ours to
promote relevant blogs and websites.

Please email me at chriss714@gmail.com

Thanks
Chris

BebĂȘ de Soares said...

Great interview! Some of the 90/90 Challenge could make a career as journalists!
BebĂȘ

Phyllis said...

Thanks for the great feature. I really appreciate it.

Phyllis

MaryAnn said...

vvery nice piece of writing and what wonderful work you choose to show.

Giftbearer said...

Very nice feature, and good to see that someone from outside the challenge has expressed interest in featuring jewelry and accessories artists!