Thursday, October 25, 2007

Featured Artist: BJ of Adornments by BJ

Our featured artist today is BJ of http://adornmentsbybj.etsy.com/. BJ is creates beautiful one-of-a-kind artistan jewelry, such as this Larimar Reflection of the Caribbean necklace, pictured above. Her pieces incorporate very high quality materials, and the designs are gorgeous. BJ time out to talk with us about her work and her Etsy shop.


CreativeSundries: You started creating jewelry about a year and a half ago. How did you start, and what inspired you to start making jewelry?

BJ: I retired from working outside the home and was BORED! Also, my husband had promised to build me a stained glass studio ~ about 11 years ago when we moved down here! It's still not done (go figure) so I needed some other creative outlet. I bought my grandaughter a starter kit for jewelry making and since she didn't seem interested, I started using it. I got hooked, and the rest is history. My initial creations were given away to family and friends and then I had too many so looked into online selling and found Etsy.

CreativeSundries: You use Accuflex in many of your designs. What is Accuflex?

BJ: Accuflex is a professional quality beading wire and is extremely flexible (especially the 49 strand)and comes in a huge variety of colors. It's similar to Beadalon, but I prefer this brand personally. I usually use the .019 diameter wire as it is a bit stronger than the smaller diameter wire. However the smaller wire is easier to use with pearls and other materials with small hole openings.

CreativeSundries: Do you have favorite stones/gems/materials?

BJ: Yes and no. Meaning I'm open to new materials to use and recently purchased an instructional video on chain maille. Haven't started that yet, but I will. Anyway, I prefer mostly natural materials such as semi-precious gemstones, wood, and then there is always Swarovski crystals, can never have enough of them. I'd like at least a dozen of each color, style and size! I love pearls, and like to wire wrap in sterling silver and gold-filled wire. My latest addition is silk and braided cord for my new series on Chinese Knot Jewelry. (That has become a challenge - rather difficult and very time-consuming.)

CreativeSundries: What do you find most challenging about your work?

BJ: I guess that depends on your definition of challenging! On the enjoyment side, is the design and creation of one-of-a-kind, unique jewelry. I don't want everything to look like everyone else's jewelry. I think I have enough of that anyway. But the other challenge is to come up with the words to describe my jewelry on posts and blogs and to find the words for a feature as part of the 90 day challenge!

Thanks for talking with us, BJ! Let's take a look at some more of her beautiful jewelry designs:


This Gotta Love Buttons multi-strand necklace (above) is so clever! BJ says, "It is a three-strand necklace of shell buttons, black buttons and mother-of-pearl squares, interspersed with crystal and black tube beads. Seed beads sit next to the Mother of Pearl beads and Hematite small cube beads are next to the black buttons."


The piece above is the Purple and Mustard necklace, featuring Amethyst oblong points in trios, separated by unique Bali twisted sterling silver spacer beads, and accented by Yellow Jasper.

BJ is a member of the Art Jewelry Collective and JET (Jewelry on Etsy Team). She is happy to accept custom orders for her beautiful jewelry. Please check out BJ's wonderful jewelry in her Etsy shop, http://adornmentsbybj.etsy.com/.

No comments: