Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Featured Artist: Elektra

Today we are featuring Elektra, whose Etsy shop is http://elektrajewelry.etsy.com/.

Elektra's Aqua Chalcedony Bracelet is gorgeous. I love chalcedony. Recently I learned from a bead and gems catalog that "chalcedony" is pronounced kal-SID-ney. I was sure it was "chal-se-doh-nee." I love the way the colors play off each other in this design. The bracelet, like all of Elektra's work, is one of a kind. She says, "I never duplicate designs so each piece of jewelry is truly one of a kind."

In her Etsy profile, Elektra explains, "I have loved jewelry and gemstones all my life. My travels to Greece and Greek background have influenced my love of 18k and 24k gold and my choice to work with gold vermeil (24k over sterling silver). All my pieces are made with top grade gemstones,sterling silver,pure silver, and top quality gold vermeil which is 98.5% pure 24k gold layer over silver. My gold vermeil has a thick coating of gold and is an excellent quality."



Elektra is a newcomer to Etsy but has been designing jewelry for a while: "Although I began working with stones over 10 years ago, the demands of a full time teaching job and childcare did not allow me the time to follow this passion. Finally, the timing seemed right and I have started creating and selling my pieces. Now that I have started a business, I devote most of my time and energy into creating pieces that can be worn and enjoyed for years to come.

Elektra took time to answer a few of our questions about her work:


Creative Sundries: How did you come up with your Etsy name? I'm trying to remember--Elektra is from Greek mythology, right?

Elektra: Elektra means bright and shining and yes she is a Greek character.

Creative Sundries: How did you make the decision to offer only one-of-a-kind pieces?

Elektra: I make one of a kind pieces because I think it is important to have your own unique piece of jewelry. I hate to see someone else wearing my outfit and feel the same way about my jewelry.

Mmm, this Purple Passion Bracelet looks good enough to eat: a bracelet made with amethyst and lemon opalite. (Although please don't eat it.)

Be sure to visit Elektra Jewelry on Etsy and her blog, http://elektrajewelry.blogspot.com/. She is happy to accept custom orders, including sizing of the jewelry in her current collection.

2 comments:

Dina Cuomo said...

Awesome feature! Thanks so much.

creativesundries said...

You're very welcome, Dina!